01 April 2019

tax bill, no Foolin'


Our taxes are done, at least the first draft - and no revisions will soften the blow. Withholdings in the new tax era were underdone to the point of criminality; of course I'm the criminal and will be forced to pay a penalty for it. New part-time job, an IRA pull, and general withholding changes that I foolishly assumed would be reasonable. Silly me.

That tax+penalty will be paid for by my camera gear.
Boy does that sound familiar.

And so, yet another fire sale will remove as much of my gear as buyers are willing to take. That may well strip me down to the GX1 again - but I'd be OK with that. To be honest I'd say that my tech interest seems to have peaked at the GX7 level; all new features past that are complexity that I like as a concept but may never actually use.

It will be interesting to see what gear remains, from which I can assemble a 'phoenix' kit. As of today it's the EP5 and either the 20/1.7 or 12-60 superkit lens. And the GX1. If the YI isn't taken I'd likely swap it to a dealer rather than leaving it on a shelf to decompose. Nice sensor but not my type, and if the firmware makes a great leap forward I'll survive the disappointment.

Once you've done this routine four or five times, it apparently hurts less.
Still no fun though.