16 April 2019

complex matters

Now that I've made a statement about complex cameras.. let me move on to software for those cameras. I've re-installed PS Elements v10 on my computer. Wow that's old!

Yes but -
I've tried several newer items in the past year or so. No doubt they are amazing and can do impressive stuff. But with a few bargain plugins Elements X has curve lighting (SmartCurve), pseudo HDR (reDynamix) and really good noise reduction (NeatImage). No doubt I can spend more and do better - but I know Elements pretty well and the new models are (yet again) complex beyond my needs. So why work harder for small returns?

My all-time favorite imaging software was made in 1996 and remains my most-used photo tool. It does all the basics (OK it cannot rotate in sub-90° increments or auto-scale to screen dimansions), it's tiny and therefore fast. I can resize, change color balance and saturation, sharpen a pinch - even add text. So for casual images, which is pretty much all I'm able to shoot right now, this is plenty.