06 April 2019

a small investment

Much gear has been recycled in the past month, including the Pentax K-50 and Lumix G85. I shall miss every item - yet they were more mentally valuable than anything as I've spent so little time actually using them.

The IRS thanks every buyer in participating in their funding efforts.

One item that has not left the building is the YI M1. One of its frustrations for me is the lack of image stabilization of any form, even with lenses that have the feature. Before the selloff began I'd been watching for a deal on the classic 14-45mm lens, the original and still-liked Lumix μ43 kit lens. I found one just as the sale funds were slowing to a trickle, and I decided to pick it up.

What makes the old 14-45 different is that it has an OIS switch, which reportedly is the only way that an IS lens will work with the M1. I want to know that for certain before I let this camera go, as it has several features that I'm reluctant to lose for a miniscule sale price. The updated 20mpx sensor is here, the in-camera charge setup via 'standard' microUSB cable, timelapse/4k/2k and a simple interface.. several good features. And one more firmware update (or open-source 'hack') could make this a very sought-after camera!

The purchase brings me a bewildering array of  'standard kit zoom' lenses in this format:
  • 14-45 Lumix, original that I know from my G1 era
  • 14-42 ii Lumix, the latest successor kit lens
  • 12-32 Lumix, the tiny marvel (with no focus ring)
  • 12-40 xiaoyi, the retractable M1 kit lens
  • 12-60 Lumix that didn't leave with the G85
Each has something somewhat special about it.. but I definitely don't need 5 lenses for 4 bodies (GX1, M1, eP5, wife's GF2) - especially with the 14 and 20mm primes still in house!

One interesting prospect - if the xiaoyi performs well enough on the ePM5, the 14-45 can take over on the M1. We'll see about that.