20 October 2017

For shame. Timeout.

I've just skimmed my past posts* and learned just how big a problem I have with holding on to camera gear. Several absurdly excellent kits were tossed back into the pool for pathetic reasons. I called myself out several times, and then excused my behavior as financially driven. That's only true because I overreached when I already owned really nice gear but wanted more - and that's entirely on me and my collecting/hoarding illness.

* Of course I don't read my own blog, I write all this for mythical others.. or so I've told myself.


Therefore read, and Learn!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Could anything embarrass me more than this note from April 2015?
For a total of $118 I have two |k-r|bodies in like-new condition with a total of 130 shutter actuations.  

Well perhaps this from July of 2011?
The k-x became a k-r, and several lenses came swiftly. Some were bargains, others simply irresistible - but the result was too many lenses, especially considering that family health issues kept us from traveling to photogenic places. I took some great shots of the yard and my bike commutes to work.. but any camera could do such things justice.

Or even Nov 2010?
So why don't I just buy more Pentax stuff with that gift card? Fact is, I'm all out of 'needs' there  I have modern lenses (16-45, 50-200 and 55-300) plus a half-dozen manual primes and intermediate zooms.  I have a nice tripod and a flash sufficient for my needs, and several SD cards.  Not only is that enough, it's too much - especially as I've been homebound and not able to use much of this.  
A smaller camera with decent IQ would provide just as much camera satisfaction and be a smaller cash drain.


The occasional great image I've taken in the intervening thirty months since I owned the K-r would certainly look no worse with that camera. Or a K200d and Sigma 18-200 (March 2011). Or the K100d, 16-45 and 55-200 Sigma (June 2010).


What cameras have I owned in the past five years? Let me gasp as I count them - and several were owned more than once..

  • Pentax 200d/k-r/7/5/5ii/5iis/3ii/s1 
  • mu43 pm2/pl5/pl6/em10/em5/g7/gm1/gx7/gx1 
  • fuji f550, nikon-1, oly e500 and Samsung NX300 
  • lenses: easily a few dozen in K mount, perhaps twenty µ43/4Thirds
  • imaging-related tags in this blog: ~190
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

What have I gained from all this? Precious little.
What I lost: time energy.. and now, self respect.

And with this fresh in my mind,
I shall walk away from 'gear talk' on this blog for a spell.