06 November 2018

a simple question

A couple of days ago I nearly bought another camera. It had a feature or two I don't have that would be nice to have, and it was a very nice price. Who wouldn't do that, show of hands? Ah, you others are new here aren't you - read the subheader on my 'blog and you will understand a bit better.

Does it matter which camera it was? Could have been a GX8 or G85 for weather seals, maybe an EM1 v.1 for the same reason. Or maybe it was the sensor: GX8 and YI M1 have the notorious 20Mpx that gives people like theonlinephotographer 'classic' results in a digital body. And who's to say it was not in fact a K-1 v.1 with its ultimate features and compatibility with most of the lenses I own?

(Honestly it was more than one camera - but not that entire list.)

Sitting beside me here is a camera that's small, sealed, has lenses ranging from 24-800mme (though only one is sealed) and takes Pentax prime lenses. It takes great video and can pull still images out from it, and the sensor does very nice work. It's my..

Once again, does it matter? 
What does it do so poorly that I still seek relief? 

To put it another way -
'the Notebook' via giphy.com
OK the answer is my GX1, K-50 and GX85. No one of them does all that, which makes the G85 tempting.. but the sealed lens is on the K-50 so add a 12-60 to that expense. Wait that does not charge in camera like the gx85 and has a flip screen not the tip type? It's always something, and camera makers like it that way. I'm their ideal buyer - well except that I'm forced to stay with used items until my lottery ticket hits.

At times like this the K-1 looks really nice, with decent compatible lenses already in hand.