07 November 2011

test every lens (no matter how many times you own a copy)!

Sure, I admit it: this is at least my third Pentax 18-55 lens. Each time the purchase, and the sale, made sense within its context. This time I own a WR camera with no WR lens.. so the DA 18-55WR makes plenty of sense.
 
Each time I change lenses I enter a column in my Excel 'data base', so in many cases I've been able to copy a column from the dead file to the live one. And each time the parameters change a smidge, so I test where the minimum f/ratio changes through the focal range, and take a quick shot of a ruler to count the mm and determine the close-focus ability.

In this case I picked a real close-focus winner among the many excellent 18-55s: this is very close to .4x (I see 62mm at close focus, so sensor size of 24/62 yields 0.39x). The specs say .34 and my previous were closer to that value. I did lose slightly on the f/ratio, but if you can tell the change at 35mm instead of 40mm you're better at it (and more concerned about it) than I.
Posted by Picasa

Later tests against the DA 50-200 are less glowing, as the 50-200 at 50 bests the 18-55 at 55 when both are f/5.6 aperture. Also curious is that the FL values aren't quite aligned - so do I have a 55-200 or an 18-50? No big deal, just a curiosity.