Our cell phones have been almost useless this past year. Our home is quite remote, so it's no great surprise - yet the degraded signal is a problem.
We recently picked up a signal booster, a WeBoost 3G device for residential use. First tests were not great, but finally I rigged up a spot with a decent signal. Today I crawled under the house and rerouted a coaxial cable that once went to a satellite dish. I pulled it to the east side of the house where cell towers are most prevalent and mounted the antenna high on the side of our home. That worked for a bit but not consistently, so I moved it to the edge of our deck. Now our signal is pretty nearly at maximum!
So we went from a home where two indoor spots gave us occasional signals to excellent reception in several rooms and our deck as well. Much better!