Why am I doing this? The K-5 II is the new goal. With the K-5 awaiting repairs & the wet season upon us, a II (or praps a IIs) makes sense... if the price becomes right in the next few months. I could pick up a classic K-5 but the SAFOX X has a few important upgrades I would like to have:
- better AF predictions in continuous-AF mode
- much less light needed for autofocus (-3EV)
- f/2.8 precision (center point) and
- more decisive focusing in nearly all cases
The K-3 has still more updates, but the 24Mpix sensor does not beat the sweet-16 for low-light imaging so more pixels hold less appeal. Many of the other features (variable AA simulation, better/easier video, USB3) are good but not wildly relevant to me -- well OK a few shifted buttons would be nice. A larger screen and faster electronic pipeline sounds like battery-life sacrificed as much as anything else. And even with sale prices, the K-3 will be at twice the price of the basic II. But hey, the shopping season approaches: if discounts are in the right places and the house is getting a lot of buying attention, who knows where this will end?
Once my K-5 is fixed it may go on the market... or should the K-01 depart? Keeping the K-5 makes more sense for identical controls, the K-01 has the interesting video and interval-movie setting - but those are also available on the Q! Acquiring a brand-new II with three years of warranty feels like a good decision - though a better one would be to swear off all imaging 'upgrades' for six months!
Ha ha very funny... and oh yeah just picked up a white 18-55 for the white K-01 :^p
Today's pile of imaging gear:
- primes: 8 fisheye, 24, 50, 70Ltd, 105 macro, 400 (all manual focus except 70 + 105)
- zooms: DAs 16-45, 18-55, 50-200wr (28-90 & 100-300 for full frame/film)
- bodies: K-01, K-5 (needs repairs), Q with 02 zoom and PK adapter
* first sale fell through, try try again..
Update - the 50-150 went through the 2nd time, and is being replaced by a DA21. Yes this was not needed thanks to the 16-45. More shuffling in the works; what a surprise.