06 July 2008

Fourth of July retro

We had a fine time at the Vancouver fireworks show.. mostly. We set up shop in a large field, then sat for over three hours and literally chilled as we awaited darkness. The setting moon was a fine sight. When the fireworks began our entire area was in motion -- two huge trees were blocking the view! I had expected the shots to go much higher, and the trees would be nice foreground objects, but this was not what we came for! We shifted over and saw the rest of the fine show, but many of my images were now off-tripod. Still, I liked the effect of shorter shutter speeds, so no big deal. The big deal came later, when I realized that I no longer had my glasses - somewhere in our shuffling in the dark, they unclipped from my shirt and disappeared. So the rest of the 3-day weekend I've been using reading glasses, so that was/will be an expensive loss. Check out a few of the images at http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX/Fireworks